Thursday, April 7, 2011

Yarn Quest 2011


I couldn't let the yarn crawl happen without me, so today was the day to participate. We finally have warm spring weather - lots of sunshine - and it was a pleasure to visit some familiar shops and discover some new ones.
Stop 1. I started out at The Yarnery. The pattern is a buttoned cowl made from 1 skein of All for Love Yarn (colorway: Calypso). The yarn is 80% superwash merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon.
Stop 2. Darn Knit Anyway. This shop is new and I really liked it. It would be a good place to explore when it's not as busy. Their pattern is also a cowl this year and the yarn is by Three Irish Girls - Wexford Merino Silk (colorway Luxor).








Stop 3. Lila and Claudine's
Really, really liked this shop. It's relatively new and it, too, deserves a good explore on a non-crawl day. Their pattern is a small shawl. The yarn is Happy Hands Hand-Dyed Yarn - Superwash Merino Worsted Weight (colorway: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds)








Stop 4: Sheepy Yarn Shoppe. I got the pattern but did not get the yarn. As you can see, if you clicked on the link, it's a yarn that is not local or particularly noteworthy. It was a little disappointing, but the pattern is nice - a lace rib scarf.

Stop 5. Shepherd's Choice. This was my first time at this shop. Shepherd's Choice makes their own yarns. The special pattern is a felted bag made from 2 skeins of their own yarn. They were selling kits for the bag, but I didn't buy any.


Stop 6. Amazing Threads. Always one of my favorite shops. They did not disappoint. Their yarn was available in a couple of different weights, which was really nice - you could get worsted, sport, or fingering. Their pattern is a very pretty shawl. The yarn is another offering from Three Irish Girls. This time, the colorway is Lovestruck. I got the fingering weight - 80% merino, 20% nylon.








Stop 7. Coldwater Collaborative. I like the pattern that was offered this year. Another shawl with a pretty box-stitch pattern. The yarn offered is one I've looked at a number of times - Schaefer Audrey, but today wasn't the day to buy that yarn. It's very pretty and glossy, but I didn't think I wanted to make something from lace-weight yarn, held double.


Stop 8. Skeins. I liked the pattern, a ruffled neckwrap. The yarn was Mountain Colors Twizzle (colorway Watermelon Salsa), which is a limited edition color. It was pretty, but it wasn't something I needed to buy.

Stop 9. I told Steven that I saved the best for last. I think his new shop, StevenBe, is really wonderful. I've shopped at his original location, Yarn Garage, for several years and always enjoy it. I look forward to exploring this new venture when there isn't a CROWD! The pattern is a hat - very cute - using the yarn crawl charms as a decoration. Instead of one unique crawl-only yarn, Steven has 4!
There are two different skeins of Three Irish Girls Adorn sock, 80% merino, 20% nylon. The other two skeins are Madelinetosh Pashimina, 75% merino, 15% silk, 10% cashmere. The colorways (from left to right) are Three Irish Girls Glitteroti, Three Irish Girls Limelight, Madelinetosh Pashmina Confetti, and Madelinetosh Pashmina StevenBe Blue.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Oooh, lovely.

I went by the Yarnery tonight. Lovely.

All For Love Of Yarn! said...

This is wonderful! Thank you for posting this, I didn't get to go so it's fun to see everything that was offered and what you got. I hope you enjoy knitting with Calypso!
Angela
aka: All for Love of Yarn

All For Love Of Yarn! said...

This is wonderful, thank you for posting this. I wasn't able to join in on the fun, so I really enjoyed reading this and see everything that was offered and what you got.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy knitting with Calypso!

Angela
aka All for Love of Yarn

MNKnit said...

The Calypso is just beautiful! I walked into Yarnery, picked up a skein and said, "Oooooooooh" without even knowing it was the special yarn for the crawl. Can't wait to knit it up!